Sunday, June 14, 2009

USA

I am back in Chicago this evening, drinking Spanish wine and eating French cheese at the dining table of my good friends who give me shelter. Lisbon was tremendously beautiful and I have some stories to transcribe from my journal in the coming days. For now I will just say that I simply cannot be bothered to pick up the pace to Midwestern standards. I am on vacation slow, Lisbon time, and I do not care. I feel so relaxed and serene and this should not be spoiled. Pause for sip of wine... mmm, thank you.

I think I need to update my technological devices if I intend to blog on the road. I learned the term "RTW" for a type of travel taken in your life as advertised to young Brits. Never mind the "gap year"... I've decided that this is my gap year and I will be taking this time to follow some dreams and bolster my resume before I decide what I really want to do with my life. The only problem with that is I really already know what I want to do with my life, so the world travel is just reinforcement at this point. I digress. What I really need is one of those twee little laptops that slide right into your purse and are only useful for logging on and typing up some travel observations, because a blackberry is too small and slow to type on and paper is nice but it is hard to make photocopies and mail that stuff to people.

Next topic: flying vs. airplane rides. I have decided that I indeed enjoy winging about in the clouds. I like it, I really do. I do not like being on airplanes, though. Too dry, too noisy, not enough snacks, small children kicking your seat, neck pain when you fall asleep with your head tilted back, not so nice. But oh! the dreamy dreamy cloudscapes and panoramic vistas and piercing sunshine above the cloud cover. How sweet to be in the ether. I can't wait to get up there again! If only it didn't have to involve an airplane ride.

1 comment: