Wednesday, August 26, 2009

No tengo nada

It has been a minute, has it not? I was busy overhauling my daily routine to better equip myself for daily studies and student life. Ha, yeah, one class a day... right. Baby steps for the old lady.

So now I get up at 5:30am so I can shower and breakfast before arriving at Ibero for two hours of study prior to Español 1. Then I find a spot on the mezzanine in the library near the architecture section and peruse the books for an hour. After that I study either GRE practice or Spanish. Then to class for two hours followed by a return to the library with my friend Rebecca. We try to study for a few hours, but we are usually interrupted by some socializing until she catches the bus at 1pm and I then take one more hour for study before getting picked up at 2pm. Agt. 3xL and I then go home for lunch. Hopefully I was motivated enough the night before to prep some vegetables for whatever dish I am inspired to make. After lunch it is a struggle to stay awake and study more GRE. But I try and usually get some work done. This is punctuated by catching up on correspondence and other such diversions.

Last weekend we managed to get away for a day trip to Valle de Bravo which is a lake resort near some volcanoes way up in the sky much closer to the clouds than my house. We nearly ruined the car driving around on back mountain roads to find a small fish farm to practice and teach new fishers how to fish. There were no fish, but plenty of livestock to harass. And plenty of soggy volcanic soil (which stains btw) to stomp around and ruin your shoes in. We had some lunch near the plaza in a restaurant that was not so good, but I found out later that the rest of the group wanted to eat from street vendors and that they agreed to eat at the restaurant for me. Sigh... I would have said "GO! Feed yourselves! I'll find some tacos bye bye" but alas the group solidarity could not be compromised. Until... I couldn't handle all the gossip in Español and needed to break free of groupthink to wander about the shops and vendors along the tiny winding streets. It was very beautiful and we had a popsicle at magic hour.

See above for some photos.

2 comments:

  1. Popsicles and livestock!YAY!

    Speaking of nada, remind me today to tell you a Nada story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5:30! yowzers. good for you. way to be committed to going back to school and learning espanol. did you learn all the animal noises in spanish yet? (this is your top priority, no?!) all i know is that the rooster crows "co co ri co" in french.

    ReplyDelete