Thursday, August 13, 2009

Ondas

Que ondas?

So I am told this is a way to say "what's happening?". Ondas are waves. My waves currently are as follows:

1) Spanish classes at Ibero.
2) Flamenco lessons at Ibero.
3) Modern dance techniques lessons at Ibero.
4) Trying to chat with the server, Jose, at Ibero.
5) New girlfriends from Bangalore and Oslo.
6) Montezuma's revenge (I was doing so well, and then wham...)
7) Mexican Catholic funeral for a dear friend taken too soon.
8) Pressure to really really start studying for the GRE and doing something with myself.
9) Homesickness comes in waves about once a week. I don't know how other people feel when they miss home, but how it feels to me is frustration and fatigue. I feel angry that I can't just go do something I used to do. Then I feel exhausted by trying to keep up with all of the new information and sights and smells and tastes and all the cheek kissing. I was speaking with a very dear friend of mine in Chicago about how I am not even a "hugs" kind of person until I really get to know you. I am usually very formal and polite with handshakes or nods and smiles so it is really taking a lot out of me to LEAN IN and touch cheeks and make kisses in the air with people. I am regularly discombobulated by it.

And then I think it is sweet, and I am touched by it and wonder why Estadounidenses are not in the habit...

Lots of mental and emotional energy is spent on these things. I miss Trader Joe's and thick crusty European style bread. I miss Chipotle (shut up, don't laugh). I miss going for walks outside whenever I feel like it. I miss knowing where I am. I miss corner bars and micro-brews. I miss eavesdropping! One of my favorite pastimes! Sigh...

I like the mountains and the rains. I like the friendly people. I like the ups and downs of working things out with Agt. Triple L. I like the neighborhoods. I like Spanish. I like my new sofa. I like seeing all the dogs on the street even though I know they are dirty street dogs. I like the lagartijas that do push-ups. I like discovering new things like the college radio station (yay!).

Now I will enjoy making dinner and preparing for another day at the universidad. Dulces sueƱos.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah,

    I am glad to hear you are having fun and making new friends. I'm sorry to hear about Montezuma's revenge :(................ think of it as a welcome :), miss you a lot :)

    ReplyDelete