Saturday, October 3, 2009

Obsessions

You may have noticed my recent preoccupation with helicopters. I feel that my obsession is now almost put to rest having captured some lovely photos of the insect-like beasts. I still jump up to look out the window, but I am no longer crestfallen when I do not also have my camera at hand. I feel good about my progress.

This little bit of freedom has opened up some room for a new obsession: The New York Times online. In my life I have had several different affairs with the Times. Once I enjoyed a decadent home delivery... oh how I loved the crossword and spreading out the travel section to get at the good stories about food. Mmmm food. The Times has so many lovely stories and pictures to help balance the horror and depression caused by the regular world news. I began reading the Times again recently in order to catch up on current events so I can write meaningful essays on my grad school tests. The Op-Ed columns are perfect practice for getting in the mood to write an opinion essay. However, after about one or two of those, I turn immediately to the Style section or the Arts or Travel. Oh the science, oh the book reviews! Whee what fantastic stories about far away places and pictures of sumptuous things!

Speaking of far away places and sumptuous things... I went to the Mercado del Sabado today in Coyoacan. This is your typical Mexican market, but with all of the goods being prints, paintings and various crafts. It hovered somewhere between "starving artists" and "craft fair" with many wonderful old creative types mingling with art students and peddlers of chicle. I saw some amazing, simple prints of fighting cocks that looked almost Japanese in their minimalness and colors, and some very interesting surrealist pieces. I also scoped out some perfect gifts for my nephews and pals back in the States, and purchased a small ceramic flower pot for my bathroom spider plant.

The weather was lovely (the rainy season is over) and we met some friends for a very late lunch at a French place called Cluny. I have decided recently that since most ethnic foods in Mexico end up tasting curiously like Mexican food (Japanese included) that a better strategy is to order the ethnic dish with the local ingredients. Chipotle rice with avocado at the sushi place would have been a better option than what I chose. Today I went for the Xochitl crepe with elote, flor de calabaza, rajas and pollo (aka corn, zucchini flowers, poblano peppers and chicken) and I was so happy that I did. It was excellent. Much better than the mushroom bechamel crepe I had last time we dined there.

Now, I am waiting and resting and reading the Times in anticipation of going to a dance club in Condesa tonight. Agent Triple L's sister is celebrating her birthday and we are going to help. Normally I am not one to get excited about clubs like this. It always surprises me when I say this because I love dancing, but for some reason I can't work myself up enough to get glitzy and go out at 11pm. I'mma work on this. So, I am going to go super glam and hope that the right outfit will get me in the mood. For now, snuggly on the couch getting hungry for late-nite quesadillas will do just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment